Submit your resume
Performs engineering work with a focus on substation engineering design including both physical and protection & control practices. Requires knowledge of substation systems from 34.5kV to 500kV with familiarity with basic principles related to the engineering design or high voltage substations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Employee may be called upon to perform any or all of the following functions:
- Work within a project team to create all design documents and drawings for a project, including creating wiring diagrams from schematics, generating bills of materials, and applying field mark-ups of project as-built drawings with minimal supervision
- Perform Engineering support tasks such as relay burden, lighting, load flow, and short circuit calculations with minimal supervision
- Apply engineering application software to complete engineering tasks such as ground grid design, relay coordination, transformer sizing, and load flow and short circuit studies with minimal supervision
- Review project Schedules and work with a project engineer to ensure projects remain on schedule
- Apply engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
- Properly use the document management system
- Apply corporate standard engineering practices
- Supervise project activities
- Communicate and coordinate project activities with project engineer, customer representatives, and others as needed
- Spend time at job sites to gain hands-on knowledge and additional training in substation construction and design
- Take personal responsibility for the quality and accuracy of his/her work
- Bring potential project-related problems and possible solutions to the attention of the responsible party
- Travel out of town for short periods of time as required by projects and assignments
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications / Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, or equivalent degrees, from an accredited university. Experience in substation design; successful candidates will have at least 3 years' experience in substation engineering design with more senior level positions requiring 7 years or more in hands on engineering design. Senior applicants must be a licensed professional engineer with ability to become licensed in multiple states or must be able to gain license within one year of hire.
- Familiarity with electrical relays currently utilized in the electric power utility industry
- Experience in application of relays and metering in an electrical substation at 138kV and above
- Experience in the design of electrical schematics for relay applications and control systems
- Experience in the design of connection drawings and cabling
- Relay coordination experience is a plus
- Strong knowledge of AC/DC fundamentals
- Knowledge and understanding of three phase power systems
- Knowledge and understanding of per-unit mathematics and symmetrical components
- Knowledge and understanding of substation components and their functions
- Knowledge of design documents and drawings necessary to complete a projects
- Knowledge of engineering standards including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE and ANSI
- Knowledge of common word processing, spreadsheet, and e-mail software
- Communicating effectively with co-workers, vendors, clients, etc.
- Ability to work in a team environment
Company provides a competitive compensation and benefits package. The Company provides life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, long term disability insuranceand an employee assistance plan at no cost to the employee. Benefit offerings also include a choice of traditional PPO or one of two HDHPs, with corresponding FSA or HSA, dental, vision, supplemental life insurance, short-term disability insurance, critical illness insurance, hospital indemnity, group accident insurance, a 401K with immediate vesting, and more.
Must be at least 18 years of age and legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis without visa sponsorship.