Submit your resume
**This is a direct hire position that is a hybrid work setup with potentially being 100% onsite in the future**
In this position the Director of R&D is responsible for leading the development of industrial process automation products (sensors, hardware, software, firmware, etc.) which create an experience of simplicity, reliability and desire to select products for process automation applications. The Director of R&D shall use innovative techniques, tools and technologies, to reduce development time and increase the reliability of products. The planning and directing of the software engineering development group shall be done collaboratively with others. In performing these duties the Director of R&D will contribute to the creation of systematic methods that will align our group values of:
We put the customer first
We act fast
We do what we say
We reward performance
We respect people
Key Performance Factors:
- % New Product Sales – Manages product development activities to deliver impactful new product sales growth, failing fast to succeed sooner. Drives innovative design thinking to develop products and features that are meaningfully unique in providing new solutions to customers. Develops adaptable and versatile technical vision for hardware and software engineering to meet a growing product portfolio.
- Project Velocity/Time to market – Provides leadership and vision to drive continuous improvement and best practice in engineering activities to drive velocity for product development for R&D projects.
- Development Impact / Capacity Manages the overall impact and capacity of the R&D organization to deliver new streams of revenue growth.
- Return of R&D Investment Manages R&D activities for effectiveness and develops competencies for the future skills needed for the long-term benefit of the product portfolio. Manages R&D budget and project spends.
- Organizational Culture & Well-being Fosters teamwork, organizational trust, learning and collaboration. Manages organizational engagement & effectiveness to achieve development commitments.
- The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to: Directs group activities to design new products, modify existing designs, improve development and production techniques, development manufacturing and test requirements, and control relevant product documentation. Maintain and improve product development including documentation, verification and validation tests. Coordinate outsource projects including initial scope, contracts and outcomes. Contributes to making a collaborative team atmosphere within the group and between this group and others.
- Develops metrics and improves upon development processes and procedures in time, cost and quality.
- Anticipates and resolves problems using solutions that involve new techniques, technologies, or concepts.
- Analyzes technology trends, human resource needs, and market demand to plan projects.
- Advises management of new developments which may affect profit, schedule, costs, customer relations, and/or inter-departmental relations. This includes identification of new technologies that address unmet needs and have large potential markets.
- Confers with management, production, and marketing staff to determine engineering feasibility, cost effectiveness, and customer demand for new and existing products.
- Fosters and coordinate development of IP within the group.
- Provides direction and example for interpretation and application of company policies and procedures to the engineering activities.
- Maintains a working knowledge of new technologies which may improve operations, and develops recommendations accordingly.
- Maintains a working knowledge of safety policies and regulations to ensure duties of self and others are performed in a safe manner, as well as, product design standards.
- Manages & develops external development partners, external resources and/or technical suppliers
Responsible for the direction, coordination, and evaluation of the R&D functions within the Engineering, Research & Development Department. Directly manages a department of 20-30 engineers, technicians and engineering managers. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems with regards to personnel and products. Drives improvements in development methods to increase throughput and performance
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Innovation Leadership: Drives and inspires the organization to develop thinking and methodologies that engage, develop and collaborate to new solutions to market which have higher value for the company or its customers in time, money or quality. These ideas can affect product, processes services or resources and should be communicated in a manner that motivates and captures the attention of others.
Visionary Leadership – Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
Business Acumen – Understands needs of the business and can translate these needs into organizational action. Collaborates with stakeholders to maximize attainment of company goals. Displays critical thinking to adequately manage risks and resources. Builds sound judgement in others.
Strategy Development & Execution Anticipates the future needs of the business and builds the organizational capabilities to create competitive advantage. Develops goals, priorities and metrics to drive action. Adapts to changing conditions and implements necessary countermeasures to deliver results.
Organizational Engagement & Effectiveness – Inspires others to act in in accordance with company values and business strategy. Drives ownership and accountability of results within the organization. Develops capabilities and skills of organization.
Knowledge and Skill Requirement:
This position should possess the following skills/knowledge:
- MS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science with 5 years of directly relevant experience or BS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science or related field with 10 years of direct relevant experience.
- Experience with product development processes from product requirements to launch and sustaining, including product requirements, architecture, hardware and software development, verification, production and launch.
- Experience managing software and hardware engineering teams creating industrial or medical electronic products with C, C++, Java script, Linux and/or .net.
- 5+ years individual contributor experience as an engineer, 5+ years of project team leadership or manager experience, 5+ years managing R&D or engineering teams
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills including analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of mathematical methods required for electrical and mechanical engineering projects.
- Ability to read, analyze, interpret and summarize common scientific and technical journals and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of C, C++, Embedded Systems, Small screen graphics, Software design practices, Hardware design practices, Database software; Project Management software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software. Basic knowledge of relevant CAD software (EDA, mechanical CAD) are desirable or should be acquired.
- Additional Responsibilities:Other duties as assigned by the Managing Director or the Global R&D team
- Adhere to ISO 9001 Quality, ISO 14001 Environmental, and OSHAS 18001 certification requirements.
- Working Conditions / Physical Requirement:The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Listening, sitting, standing, stooping, walking, observing, grasping, pushing, pulling, keyboarding.
- Typical office/factory environment with possibility of exposure to heat in production areas.
- Work a minimum of 40 hours weekly with overtime as need to facilitate accomplishment of project goals and deadlines.
- Travel up to 20% as needed.